Thursday, October 14, 2010

DIY wall project: Birds

I wanted to do something cute and handmade on this big, empty wall. Now if you know me, you know I DO NOT do arts or crafts. Seriously. I don't know how to sew, don't want to know (well I kinda do sometimes) and hate the way things turn out when I try to "DIY". This idea was from a few different things I saw on ETSY, but none of them were exactly what I wanted, so I made my own!
Frames are from IKEA, like 5.99 or something like that.


This felt is from Papertrey Ink (THANKS, MOM!). It's amaaazing high-quality felt, which I didn't think mattered until I worked with this stuff.



I had originally planned to order some cutesy fabric from ETSY, but I found this 'Grocery Tote' at Kmart in the clearance section for $2. I decided to cut it up and use it because it's perfect!


I took the shape of bird I liked and cut the felt.

  I cut the fabric in the same shape, a bit smaller to lay on top.

WHOA! Voila...there it is! A little eye made of a black felt circle and I employed my mom to sew the fabric to felt all the way around the shape of the bird. (Look close and you can see the stitching on the beak)

Then, I hung them above my baby girl's changing table.

Sorry about the glare, but now this wall isn't so empty!

See this little ugly thing on the changing table? It was mine when I was little and here I am giving it to my little one. That makes me happy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity