Friday, November 11, 2011

photography…and MckMama

Two Christmas’ ago, I got one of the best presents I’ve ever gotten. My DSLR camera. I looked at it and thought of all the wonderful photos I would now be able to take. But like everything, you have to put some effort in to actually utilize the amazingness the camera has to offer.

 

I still have SO MUCH to learn, but I kinda love that about photography. I’ve always looked at it as a hobby that won’t really come to an “end”. For me, the expense of the equipment is well worth what you get from it (am I allowed to say this, considering my camera was a gift?) and for me, personally, I would have spent the same or more for family photos every so often. After I got my camera, I read and read, and read. Here’s what I read:

Jasmine Star. I emailed her for advice about what to purchase for my first camera. Thanks, Jasmine!

Pioneer Woman

MckMama

and any blog or website that had anything I could understand and try on my own.

I heart faces is a good one.

I also took two classes at Big Picture. I still reference my documentation from the class.

A big inspiration of mine is also Kelle Hampton. I love her composition. She’s the one who made me lay on the ground and take pictures for the first time:

IMG_4600

IMG_3937

A few months ago, I got the opportunity to take a photo class with MckMama. She was going to be in Palm Springs to teach her second-ever photography class and to be with her ailing grandmother (Her grandmother ended up passing the day before the class :( ). I wanted to learn a little more hands on from someone who I liked their style of photography.

Driving to Palm Springs was surprisingly desolate. And I’m from the desert!

IMG_1820IMG_1821IMG_1824IMG_1805

I really learned a lot and she even gave us some of her Lightroom presets (which I use all the time!). We played with our camera, with hers (a Canon 5d!), and played in Lightroom and Photoshop. I’m still not very savvy with Photoshop.

MckMama was really nice. And patient.

IMG_1803

A few of the next things I’d like to do with my photography…

Get a backdrop frame thingy so that I don’t have to use two chairs and a sheet ;)

Get a remote wireless shutter so I can get more pictures of the three of us together. I read a really cool article about it and thought about what a great/different way to capture life at home.

Get a wide-angle lens because I have the perfect portrait lens and I’m ready for something different. Here’s a great example of the difference between a portrait and a wide angle lens. I love Ree.

Be more adventurous…shoot other people.

Follow through with more photo sharing and memory keeping…like books, cards, printing for frames, etc. (This one’s for you, Mom!)

Because we wouldn’t want to be missing out on moments like this:

IMG_6099

1 comment:

Jen + Jeff said...

Great work! It makes me so happy to read about people doing what they love. I will check out these sites for some tips :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity